If winter comes, can sneezing & coughing be far behind? Hah ha…. no Shelley like poetic thought, rather as we gear up for an extreme winter, my mommy-mind gets a baby-food thought to fight cold in the wintry weather ahead.
In this weather changing months of Oct-Nov, my 19 month old daughter has already caught cold. She feels so helpless with irritating stuffy nose! In addition to trying all those ‘gharelu nuska’ of hot oil massages, nasal drops, Tulsi Patta mixed boiled warm water etc, i did also try one of the best comforting soup aka CHICKEN SOUP for my baby with cold. This chicken soup contains all kind of vitamins, minerals and gelatine a baby needs to fight a cold.
You may also like:
- Chickpea Tomato Soup for Babies
- Easy Carrot Soup Recipes for Babies
- 5 Quick Ways to Cook Maggi for Your Child
- Homemade Food Recipes for Babies – Ragi, Wheat & Green Gram
- 10 Best Super Foods for Kids
- Almond Milk Recipe for Babies and Kids
But before I go further, here I must clear you, how appropriate is it to introduce chicken to a small baby? Well, even a baby as young as 7 months can have chicken in the form of chicken stock which is prepared by boiling water with chicken, veggies (like carrot, onion, beans, peas, celery etc) and little salt for 1 to 1.5 hrs. The water which we get after straining all solids is known as chicken stock and it is very soothing for young babies in winter with all the vitamins, minerals in it.
However, in this post I am giving you the recipe of a chicken soup suitable for toddlers, who can chew solids present in a soup. The name of this soup is ‘Chicken Noodles Soup’. Here is the recipe
Ingredients – Chicken Soup For Babies With Cold
- 1 glass chicken stock
- 1 piece chicken finely minsed
- Noodles ( i have used magi atta noodles)
- Half an onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2tbsp peas
Preparation Steps – Chicken Soup for Babies With Cold
1. Put chicken pieces in a deep pan with 2 glasses of water, a clove of garlic, an onion, 1 bay leave (tej patta) and a pinch of salt to boil. When it starts to boil put the flame to low and let it boil for around 45 minutes till the water is reduced to half. Remove and discard the bay leave and strain the stock, this is a quick version of making chicken stock.
2. In another pan heat little olive oil, sauté chopped garlic and half chopped onions. Keep sautéing till it becomes pink.
3. When onions become pink, add the peas and chicken stock. I had already added salt while making the stock so no need to add more salt here.
4. When it starts to boil add the noodles and stir till the noodles becomes really soft for a child.
5. Add a pinch of pepper powder if your child likes the flavour or skip it. Chicken noodle soup is ready to serve.
6. I serve soups to my little one at around 7pm ( so that there is 2 hrs gap for her dinner) and since i made chicken stock with 4 chicken pieces and minced only 1 small piece of chicken for this soup, what i generally do with the other pieces is, brush the remaining pieces with little butter and grill it lightly, it becomes very yummy. Sometimes i serve it to my daughter for the dinner, and sometimes i give her at 4-5 pm also as evening snacks.
Do share more chicken recipes here.